15 December 2014

Restoring Unity under Ubuntu 14.04

A few months back I installed the latest 14.04 Ubuntu updates and suddenly Unity stopped working - no launchpad, no menubars, no nothing...

I did a fair bit of searching the Interwebs and didn't find that one trick to restore Unity. So I gave up and installed Gnome instead, which ran fine.

However, the problem kept nagging me until tonight, when I finally took the plunge to figure out how to resolve.

It turns out that for whatever reason there was no /etc/X11/xorg.conf (some posts suggests that it all automagically reconfigures - didn't work so well for me). I therefore decided to try and create an xorg.conf.

The following wiki shows that if you run the following as root, it will generate a new xorg.conf: Xorg :0 -configure

One caveat: beforehand you will need to restart your PC and boot in recovery mode so you do not run X when attempting to run the Xorg configuration; then choose to run a root shell.

Then you will need to remount / as read/write:

mount -o remount,rw /

Now run:

Xorg :0 -configure

Now reboot.


If it's working, great!

If you had previously installed Gnome to revive your desktop (like me) then you can remove it (and thereby also restore the unity-greeter so that you're looking at Gnome login at every reboot) by running:

sudo apt-get remove gnome-session
sudo apt-get autoremove

No comments: